View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013, 08:58 AM   #6
maillemaker

Quote:
I have shot black powder rifles since the time when there was only side locks on them.We always used a lubricated patched round ball.I have recently got interested in the cap and ball pistols ,I have learned how to nitrate paper to make paper loads.However the question is does that round ball have to be lubricated I know you hear grease them over ,or use lubricated wad.But you dont see them add that to any of the loads in videos and I doubt if they carried Crisco in the civil war to grease over with.Is the velocity slow enough as to not smear lead down the bore
Period cap and ball revolvers were often loaded using cartridges, which it sounds like you already know and are making. Those cartridges used conical bullets which were, as I recall, pre-lubricated in the grooves on the bullet.

When shooting round ball, the common modern practice is to either use a lubricated wad under the bullet or to "putty over" the top of the ball with lube after loading the ball into the chamber.

The lube is not necessary; It merely keeps the fouling soft to allow the gun to be shot more times and with less impact on accuracy.

Steve

Page generated in 0.03161 seconds with 8 queries