View Single Post
Old November 21, 2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Moloch

Feeding issue: rounds REAR-diving.

Hello!

I recently bought a 1891 Mauser in great condition and I'm having an annoying problem, when I feed the last cartridge in the magazine the rear of the round dives under the bolt and gets jammed halfway in the magazine and half in the chamber. I do have to pull back the bolt and push the cartridge into the chamber using my little finger. Caliber is 7.65 Argentine ( Rimless, single stack magazine)

It does this 9 out of 10 times, once in a while it works perfectly and I have no idea why. And it just happens on the last cartridge.

I know that cartridges NOSE-diving is a common feeding problem but has anyone ever had problems with cartridges REAR-diving in the magazine?

Things I have already tried to identify and fix the problem:

* Take the magazine apart and clean it thoroughly
* Check the seating depth of the mag (it touches the receiver perfectly)
* Load rounds with all sorts of different lengths and bullet shapes. Cartridge length and bullet shape have no effect on this problem whatsoever.
* Run the bolt hard and fast and slow and careful. The way I operate the action seems to have no effect on the malfunctions. It happens when I run the bolt at snail pace just as it happens when I slam the bolt like a Mosin's.

Any idea? I suspect its a weak magazine spring, but to be honest it feels fine, tension is really good, its a big fat leaf spring. Then again, its over 120 years old.

Page generated in 0.04645 seconds with 8 queries