View Single Post
Old June 20, 2006, 06:14 AM   #14
BlueTrain

To Dave R., if you are worried about the brass, use a single shot without an ejector (extractor only). Seriously though, I ran into the same problem with .38 Super, it not being a real common round and I would lose maybe 10% every session. Of course, at the time my loss percentage on .38-Special was approaching that from split cases.

Ruger has already made a .44 magnum bolt action, which may or may not still be in production. You also used to hear about converting Siamese Mausers to .45-70 but I don't know what made the Siamese Mauser particularly suitable for that. It also occurs to me that big bore cartridges were the norm in military bolt actions before the small bore craze hit around 1890. Where will it all stop?

One of the big bore AR-15 cartridges was based on the .50 AE cartridges and has a rebated rim and supposedly makes a conversion a little simpler. Converting calibers has been going on for a long time and there have even been Winchester lever actions converted to .45 ACP. A funny thing which I have mentioned before is how you read in very old acticles about using chamber liners to permit a smaller cartridge to be used in a rifle. I believe such things are still around but I've never read anything about anyone actually using them.

Finally, I still like the idea of a Lee-Enfield converted to .45 ACP. But we are off track now.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02361 seconds with 8 queries