View Single Post
Old November 29, 2020, 02:41 PM   #27
mattL46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Years ago (7 years ago, to be exact) I bought two Winchester target .22 rifles...a Winchester model 52B and a model 52D. Embarrassingly, I have not fired either rifle until this week.

I Recently started shooting in a 50 yard and 100 yard .22 rifle match at my local range and scoped both rifles so I could use them.

The 52B originally came with a Wittek-Vaver rear sight. I've also been told that it has a Canjar trigger. I put an EGW scope rail on it and shot it after the match today. I tried both Eley "Match" and Lapua Center-X. Both rifles seemed to like the Center-X better than the Eley.

I was a bit concerned about the EGW rail because it only attaches with the screw holes for the rear scope block. The groups look good, however. I put a Nikon 6-18 Buckmaster scope with a fine crosshair and target dot on the 52B (bottom rifle)

Just starting to do some ammo testing at 50 yards. Both the rifles seem to like the Center x a little better than the Eley Match, but it is still early

I've a 52-D as well, that's evidently had the original stock modified to a "benchrest" style which the fore-end tapered and flattened out for a rest. I use mine with the Redfield IM sights. At 50 yards, if I do my part and usually with a rear bag as well, I can cover a 5 shot group with a dime. It's hard to do though, and I'm not quite consistent enough to repeat that often. Surprisingly my rifle loves the Norma match ammunition. I tried several of the Eley, and Lapua offerings, as well as another Norma offering, and the Norma match consistently grouped better than any of them. My rifle also has the 2 screws at the fore end tip to contact the barell, I've tightened groups up a bit playing with those. My rifle likes minimum contact from right hand side screw the best. They're all interesting!

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 8 queries