View Single Post
Old August 9, 2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Metal god

yes , he is all over the place . on some issues wrong .

Mil-spec means - Military specification . I have found that some sellers say mil-spec hoping you lump it in as a total . Example some sellers will say the buffer tube is mil-spec diameter . That does not mean to buffer tube is mil-spec period . You can have a extruded and not forged mil-spec diameter buffer tube . That would not be a mil-spec buffer tube , it would just be the same size as a mil-spec buffer tube .

Quote:
So where is the balance? Which parts benefit from mil spec, and which ones do not?
Here is what I say about true mil-spec verses commercial .
When you by mil-spec you know what your getting . There is a specific material that it must be made from and or it MUST hold up to very specific testing . Commercial anything does not need to meet any of those things .

Does that mean mil-spec is best ? NO , not at all . In fact some commercial products may be much better . Triggers to name the most obvious one can be much better from after market sellers .

My point is if a manufacturer has no standards or specs it must use. It can make the product in any way they want with any material . That means ( at least to me ) that you could have two of the same parts . One milled from solid steal the other made from pot metal and they both would have the same commercial designation . commercial does not mean less quality . It means with out some good research you don't really know how good it really is . You know what you get when you buy mil-spec .

MPI = Magnetic particle inspected / HPT = High pressure tested

I forget what your other questions were . I'm sure you'll be back asking more questions . We will be here happy to help

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 9, 2013 at 07:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.03100 seconds with 8 queries