View Single Post
Old October 17, 2005, 02:40 PM   #15
PythonGuy

Great posts from all, and I particularly agree with Musketeer's last statement. I grew up in NYC and had to use my wits to survive in a middle class Queens neighborhood. While I couldn't fight all the foes and predator's that abound there, I was able to outsmart and avoid them for survival. There is no recourse to carry, you just had to be faster to evade and out think the enemy. I had minority groups try and steal my bikes, one even came up to my driveway and stole my new Schwinn 10 speed I just got for my birthday, because at 10 I was too naive and trusting. You kind of get arrogant that you can survive this way and that somehow makes you better. My wife grew up there too, and she was in situations that put her at risk as a child having lived in an apartment complex that was taken over by minority groups who then preyed on the remaining white population. She tolerates my gun avocation, but would not like loaded guns around the house due to our children, the youngest of which is 8. As for the Suffolk County Police, my wife would never call and tell them I'm paranoid or unsafe as I am the most careful person about my guns you could imagine. The Police would respond as you suggested though, they even called her when I was obtaining my permit may years ago and asked all sorts of questions about domestic violence, my temper, etc. I am getting some literature about the break-ins as another writer suggested, my coworker's husband is a Nassau County officer assigned to the home invasion case. There are some flyers and reports that have been prepared to "enlighten" homeowners to the situations. He himself is torn between protecting his family and being at work long hours working on the case leaving wife and children at home. I have no qualms about legally protecting my family and home.

Page generated in 0.03356 seconds with 8 queries