View Single Post
Old October 17, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Musketeer

I live in Suffolk county, next to Nassau, and have been following the home invasion spree. I must disagree that you feel using a weapon to stop a home invasion woud escalate the situation... The current situation is that the families are tied up and taken hostage while their homes are robbed. If you live or die, your wife and children are raped or left intact is entirely beyond your control when you decide to surrender yourself. I couldn't imagine my surrenderring the option of resisting in the hopes that the bad guys are having a good day and feeling generous... The longer these invasions go on the bolder these criminals are going to get. They are on to something now on Long Island and other criminals are soon going to follow. Every robbery has been a well publicized success. More will follow and it would be foolish to believe that none of them will turn violent against the homeowner. Most of them already believe Long Island homes to be unarmed and easy pickings.

When in the house I carry, all the time. Even if I am in sweatpants I can throw on a SmartCarry and have either my 1911 or S&W J frame handy and perfectly comfortable. When sleeping they are both loaded and in the master bedroom, along with my cell phone on its charger and a couple flashlights. On more than one occasion, since the SmartCarry is so comfortable, I have fallen asleep on the couch or in my little girls room with it on, as daddy often falls asleep while getting her down... Remember, a home invader will very likely take the phone off the hook downstairs to prevent outgoing calls.

Finally some form of warning is critical. Alarms are good, even just window sensors that make noise if openned. I have a 100 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback that is one of the best gaurd dogs I have ever owned. He is stubborn as a mule and harder to train because of it but he only barks when something is there and takes protecting the home and family seriously. On more than one night he has heard something in the woods behind our back fence that I have missed. I'll let him out and he hits that 6 ft. fence like a frieght train. It is not uncommon to hear running footsteps in the woods at that point. At only 1 year old today (Happy Birthday Colt!) I couldn't ask for much more. Nobody is getting in unnoticed.

Once again, I must reitterate my position that unless you are already staring down the barrel of a gun it is better to resist than surrender the lives of your family and you to a criminal who has already shown no respect for the law.

Page generated in 0.02649 seconds with 8 queries