View Single Post
Old January 23, 2022, 12:42 AM   #18
HiBC

I've had my $120 CED chronograph a long time. Maybe 20 years? It still works fine . Its answered a lot of questions. If I lost it,I'd buy another.

For myself,its essential.

The OP does not have a chronograph. I accept that. The OP is doing what he can with what he has. No problem.

Based on the data on his ammo box he can come up with his best estimate of muzzle velocity. As its a known bullet,he can find an advertised BC.
He can measure his sight height. He can go to (among other places) Hornady's website and freely use the ballistic software.

He will have some pretty good,useful data. Probably 400 yd venison data.

But suppose he range tests it at 200,300, and 600 yds. Who knows? Maybe he shoots it at 1000 yds. He can record the actual clicks of sight corrections. He still does not have a chronograph. His velocity error might be 88 fps. The advertised BC might be .520 and actually,he may be getting .495. His scope MOA value may be plus 5 % And he may be at an elevation of 4500 feet.

If he can just go shoot at various known ranges...and record "+ 3 clicks at 500 yds"

Eventually those data point corrections can be loaded into the software, the curve corrected, and from that,he can extrapolate his effective (for his rifle) velocity and BC.

As long as the parameters are consistent he can get predictable results.

Top marksmen were doing it long before optics, laser rangefinders, chronographs , and ballistic software. They wrote it down and figured out what to correct. Its just easier now.

But its still about the actual hole in the paper.

Page generated in 0.05380 seconds with 8 queries