View Single Post
Old October 30, 2011, 06:19 PM   #134
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well I tried to update live from the stand earlier but I was actually hunting from a place with no cell service!

As I was heading for the tree I was going to climb, I saw a deer bounding through the woods but it stopped about 70 yards from me.
I had my call right there so I thought I'd try calling it back. I stepped just a bit to my left to hide a little in the brush but I was pretty much wide open.
I did a couple doe bleats and a couple of soft grunts and that deer turned around and started walking right back toward me.
A few seconds later I see movement to my right and I look and there's a button buck standing there looking at me at like 20 yards.
He didn't much like what he saw but he just stood there looking at me while the other deer, which turned out to be a doe fawn, walked back.
After the doe got back with the buck, they both decided they didn't like me any more and bounded away about 40 yards and stopped.
Amazingly, I did a few more bleats and grunts and they turned right around and came back. This time they crossed in the open and I would have shot the doe but she didn't give me a shot. The button buck stood there broadside 15 yards, of course.
Anyway, it was very cool to be that close to them on the ground and actually call them back twice.
Saw three other deer cross the dirt road near me but right after they crossed a car came up through and they ran away.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 31, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.03473 seconds with 8 queries