View Single Post
Old February 25, 2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

In think I am about ready to take the plunge

I hope this thread is not viewed as being in the wrong forum but here goes.

Previously, I have described having to drive for an hour to shoot on a friends property in northeastern North Carolina. This is a great place to shoot. It is secluded and I never have, nor do I seem to create any disturbances. But for two reasons the situation is less than optimal.

1) I don't like the idea of driving an hour to shoot.

2) No matter how many times the owner tells me he does not mind the shooting, I am conscious of the impact it may be making.

So I have been looking for a place closer to the house to shoot. Indoor ranges are a nonstarter because of the shooting regimen when there are several folks shooting at one time. (Hot range and such). Also, other shooters are simply too impatient (as well they should be) to tolerate my shooting shenanigans and foibles.

Well I think I finally found a spot in North Carolina quite close to the Virginia border. It is ten acres of farm land backed up to the woods. There is a forty five foot right of way to the property in case I ever decide to build on it. I am in negotiation for a price right now and it is possible, I could get it for as low as $30,000.00.

If it works out, I may open it up to other shooters for a nominal annual fee. Coupla questions:

1) What are you accustomed to as an annual fee when you pay to go shooting. (I know that many of you live in areas where you can shoot any time you like without worryng about aggravating any other owners.) Keep in mind this property does not have a range, Burm, shooting benches or anything like that. I think it would be the same as some farmer allowing a person to hunt his property.

2) Tell me what you know about the legal and insurance considerations of friends visiting the property to shoot. It would not be a business, at least not at first.

Page generated in 0.02774 seconds with 8 queries