View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Could you elaborate a little on how you use the jags? And do you use the round barrel insert to keep the rod centered?
Sure! Get the jags with the little "spear point" on them to impale the patch. Buy caliber specific patches or just cut up an old t-shirt, the t-shirt method cleans a bit faster but is a bit slower as you have to trim each patch to fit.

I pour a bit of solvent into a shallow ceramic dish, kind of like an ashtray, this keeps you from contaminating your solvent bottle. Then I drop some patches into it to soak up the solvent.

I use one solvent soaked patch from the chamber side (the little spear thingy lets it drop off as it exits the muzzle, keep something there to catch them and keep the wife happy ), let it soak a few minutes, bore brush a few times, then dry patches until they are clean.

Repeat as needed ( I only use the brush in the first go-round, unless the bore is really nasty) until the dry patches come out clean immediately after the wet patch.

Dry bore with patches, then run an oil soaked patch through to keep rust away.

I don't use a bore guide, but I should.

I use Hoppes #9, Hoppes Benchrest 9, CLP, and Pro Shot Products Copper Solvent IV, but I don't pretend to say they are the best. Use what is available in your area and be sure to follow the directions, some of the solvents can actually harm your bore if left in place, especially the copper solvents.

Page generated in 0.03400 seconds with 8 queries