View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 12:43 PM   #17
kraigwy

Quote:
So what you are saying here is that this could fix my problem? Also, how hard is it to check head space on my own?
It can fix your problems assuming you get the right bolt. The unknown is you dont know how many you are gonna have to get, Plus the cost of the headspace gages.

I took of a National Guard unit one time that use to take the bolts out of rifles for security reasons. Most units taged the bolts with the Serial numbers of the rifles, this one didnt, they just dumped then in a box and issued "a" bolt with a rifle. Took me for ever to match them up, going through several bolts until I found one that would head space to the gun. Got it all straightened out and engraved the serial numbers on the bolt.

The point of this little story is, you never know how many bolts you are gonna have to buy. Even at the $10 figure, plus shipping, plus headspace gages, it isnt gonna take long to eat up $150.

I'm not real impressed with a smith telling someone "just shoot it, fireforming the brass and keep using it. Somebody somewhere sometime just might put something else in the rifle. But thats just me.

Just something to think about.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; January 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.03183 seconds with 8 queries