View Single Post
Old March 9, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1
OnTheFly

Muzzle sweep at CCW course today

I just completed a CCW course today. Everyone in the class seemed to be reasonably sharp. However, there was one individual who had just purchased a Glock before the course. I didn't get a chance to ask his experience, but he sure appeared to be relatively new to shooting. Not that I'm an old timer mind you. The first indication was when he didn't know how much pull to exert on the slide to rack it. The instructor had to help him with it. He also asked a few questions that displayed his "youth".

Before our range time, the instructor was very focused on safety. He gave us hard and fast rules to use on the range. He also gave specific examples of what he did NOT want to see. The plan was for us all to stand in a row while we completed our firing drills. I was on the far left of the line and the newb was immediately to my right. During one of the first reloads, he did EXACTLY what the instructor said not to do and he turned his firearm on its side pointing directly at me while he tried to figure out how to release the magazine.

I'm somewhat of a geek in everything I do. Ok...I'm pretty much a full fledged geek. I read everything I can find on training and my specific firearm. I try to implement what I learn at the range. What amazes me is that someone would come to such a course without a basic understanding of safety and extremely poor knowledge of their firearm.

All in all it's not a huge deal as long as he learned something. I didn't get hurt. In fact, if the instructor didn't catch him pointing his muzzle at me, I wouldn't have even known.

Just makes me wonder what might happen at the next firearm course I attend. One thing is for sure...I think I will request to be on the far right side of the line if we're all right handed.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...

Page generated in 0.03467 seconds with 8 queries