View Single Post
Old July 2, 2000, 05:12 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Lots of old threads on this, but let me summarize my experiences.

First, there's no hard rule about what slug will work best with a particular bbl. A very loose rule has sabots working best with full rifling, Brenneke and Forster type slugs with smoothbores and/or choke tubes.

The only way to find out what's best for you and your shotgun is benchtesting.

My deer 870's got a peep sight. Had a 2 1/2X scope on it once. Saddle mounts that I know of will,if you're lucky, hold zero until after the first shot on game. Most will lose zero after a dozen rounds or so.A good peep sight works as well and much faster for me, and the shots I get and take are on the close side. The deer are in the thick stuff and so am I.

The cantilever mounts may be better, tho I know one guy who doesn't like them one little bit.

And, after seeing the results of sabots on the Eastern Shore in Md, they are accurate, but leave longer blood trails than the others. Brennekes and my old "Duty" slug, the Winchester 1oz Forster, leave monstrous wound channels, and short blood trails Ray Charles could follow.

Finally, any barrel change,etc, demands a zero check before the season. Some practice doesn't hurt,either.

Page generated in 0.03560 seconds with 8 queries