View Single Post
Old November 28, 2018, 08:35 AM   #14
Orion6

I have owned both, both are great and functional budget rifles.

The very latest Axis models have an updated stock that looks much better, and is SUPPOSED to be a bit stiffer. I can’t comment on that because I only own the older style.

The Patriot has been a smashing success for a Mossberg. They are not finished particularly well if you really nitpick, but they are smooth, have good triggers, and are accurate rifles on the whole.

I am a fan of the Remington 783, which is very similar to both the Axis and Patriot. Remington is pretty much hated now, but the 783 is a great basic rifle that functions well. The stock is fairly stiff, (I also have the Walnut model so that’s a non-issue regardless), bolt is smooth, and it has a GREAT recoil pad.

Don’t overlook the TC Compass, either.

I don’t think you can go wrong with most of the budget guns; they all have strengths and weaknesses. For a basic hunting gun they’ll all do the job well.

I’m a member of some hunting groups on social media, and I’ve been surprised at how many hunters have embraced these budget guns. They don’t have the sex appeal of the old school deer guns, but they get the job done just fine where it counts.

Good luck and good shooting!

Page generated in 0.03750 seconds with 8 queries