View Single Post
Old December 19, 2005, 05:01 AM   #9
The British Soldier

The key is in the mindset; as you begin to pick up the combat indicators - the military term for 'threat indicators' that something is afoot - you mentally change from someone strolling home to someone who is prepared. It booms out of your body language in a way that everyone gets.

I'll never forget a mentor of mine across in Northern Ireland walking, in civvies, through a hard area, I was some distance behind him and we were both aware of a group of local hardmen hanging around on a corner - they were bored and just looking for trouble. When my oppo moved past them I was surprised that they all shied away from him.

Afterward I spoke about it and he said that it was because of what was going through his mind at that moment; the violent thoughts of what he could do to them that had his skill level on a far higher plane than they could hope to achieve. The youths were just street thugs, he was a trained professional who had the 'attitude' and 'aptitude' to do what he did in a dangerous area and get away with it.

Perhaps that is part of your answer; attitude is a state of mind that you have - sometimes it is reined in, other times you unleash it.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.

Page generated in 0.02632 seconds with 8 queries