View Single Post
Old November 16, 2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Joey V.

Smokeless in a BP ???

I have a savage ML that I am considering buying used from a friend. In reading a bunch of stuff online about the powders that are safe to us and the SAMM pressures involved I got to thinking about something. I understand that you are never to use smokeless powder in a black powder only rifle but why not? If you knew how to make all things equal between the two powders then why couldn't you do it? If a BP only rifle could handle 100G of FF why then could it not handle say (whatever 20 grains) of smokeless powder? I am only saying 20g smokeless as an example, I never tested anything and NEVER will. :barf: I am just sayin it is absolutely incorrect to think that any BP pistol / rifle could not safely shoot smokeless powder you just need to know how little to use right? I reload everything from 222 to 375 weatherby. and it all simply takes less powder the smaller you go in caliber. I guess what I am asking if has anyone ever tested say different smokeless powders in muzzle loaders that it was not designed for? I was thinking maybe no one put out info on do this little cowboy trick because someone would surely blow themselves up. With tha said I could do the same thing by simple massively exceeding a recommended BP charge right? Again I WILL NEVER be the tester on this but do you know anyone who has?

Page generated in 0.02978 seconds with 8 queries