Thread: Gun For My Wife
View Single Post
Old December 1, 2008, 04:53 PM   #7
BigJimP

I was only responding in terms of a 20ga because he said he had already made that decision / I didn't think bigger picture like you did.

I agree with you Zippy ...and as you say, a 12ga with 7/8oz loads, is a perfect compromise - and let them work into competitive 12ga loads as soon as possible.

I only raised boys - and by the time they were 12 they were built like I am ( Buffalo sized ....not like the "Old Bull" ...but still pretty big kids for their age...) so over 6' and 175lbs plus / but since I have 4 granddaughters now from age of 7 - 13, some petite, some tall and skinny - I am starting to figure out teaching young ladies to shoot is very different. Some of my grandsons may not be big guys either / although at 16, one of them is 6'5' and 175 lbs and getting stronger all the time. I can't say I've got this figured out - but it is true, the young ladies don't want a "girls gun" - they want to compete and be treated just like their older counsins..

However, with new shooters - especially younger kids, kids of friends, grandkids, etc. (and some of them grow very quickly) making a gun that will really fit them for more than 6 months ( or tennis shoes, etc), is a pretty expensive option - having some compromise guns / like a good 28ga or a good 20ga with shorter length of pull, lighter weight - is a good option - and let them move into a 12ga when they are ready. But that's a different conversation than getting a gun for a mature woman / or a serious competitive shooter like Kim when she was young.

In my case - with 9 grandkids now ( and probably 2 or 3 more to come ).... and involved sometimes helping out to instruct a group of new youth shooters - I keep an old Rem 28ga semi-auto, a Rem 20ga semi-auto with a short length of pull and a newer Benelli Super Sport 20ga - primarily to take to the club when instructing youth groups as backup guns / or for my own grandkids as they express interest. I have my own primary 28ga and .410 O/U's as well.

I agree, a 12ga is by far the most verstaile option for a mature shooter - and probably a mistake to do anything else if you were buying a gun to fit her specifically.

Page generated in 0.02567 seconds with 8 queries