View Single Post
Old December 12, 2018, 06:38 PM   #11
5whiskey

Quote:
I disagree , What gives ? the burn rate . Why can't you put 40gr of Titegroup in that 308 case ? Burn rate - OK it's density then, hmm Why can't you put 40gr of Unique in that 308 case ? 1 it won't fit and 2 burn rate . You see this in just about every cartridge . The faster the burn rate the lower the charges will be to get the same velocities up until you blow your gun up with the faster powder trying to get velocities you can only get with a slower powder . Density may play a roll but burn rate is a much larger factor or my understanding of internal ballistics is just flat out wrong .
I wasn't entirely clear. My point is, "Faster" powders do not always equal lower charge weights in loading data or take up more volume. They trend in that direction, but not in a manner that could be used as a rule. Look at Hodgdon reloading data for .45acp and a 230 grain projectile. There are tons of Hodgdon group powders to pick from. Some of the "faster" powders have heavier max charge weights than other "slower" powders (700x vs Winchester 244 and Winchester WST... 700x is a faster powder yet has a higher max charge. Numerous other examples in .45acp data but that's one). Red dot is also a good example, but more in the volume aspect. So they say, 13 grains of red dot fills a 30-06 case more than 50%. It would take more than 30 grains of many other powders to do the same.

My sole point is you can't declare that 22 grains of one powder can be directly compared to 22 grains of a different powder in a pressure equation based off of the burn rate alone. Powders have fillers and other additives, and are not pure nitrocellulose.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Page generated in 0.02791 seconds with 8 queries