View Single Post
Old October 5, 2013, 08:38 PM   #26
snuffy

Quote:
Gilding metel is not as dense as lead, so the bullets are longer and have more surface area in contact with the bore than traditional lead core/copper jacket bullets of the same weight. The added fraction of the increased surface area decreases peak velocity and slightly increases pressure.

The load data in all my manuals shows gilding metal bullets generally lose 50-100 fps compared to conventional bullets.
The Hornady #8 manual has all their 165 bullets listed on the same page. The GMX, INTERBOND, SPIRE POINT, SST, all 165 bullets. Apparently they don't know the GMX goes slower than the others. Reynolds is exactly right, the bands cut into the sides of the bullets are pressure relief grooves to drop the extra pressure that WOULD result from the extra length the monolithic bullet creates.

Cut some of the driving surface away from the bullet, drops the frIction of the longer bullet, thus also the pressure.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.04008 seconds with 8 queries