View Single Post
Old August 11, 2011, 10:07 PM   #14
P-990

Welcome to Highpower!

My first suggestion is to find yourself some kind of notebook so you can keep records of sight settings, sling positions, etc when you're out shooting. This will help you keep track of what you need to be at when you're coming up to the line. Later you can pick up a shooting data book if you'd like (I have one, use it maybe 3/4 of the time, the rest of the time I put the thing away and just shoot).

As kraig said, nobody should be yelling at you. We were all new shooters are some point and will help along new shooters however possible. Just watch what others are doing, listen for commands and don't be afraid to ask those around you. We're happy to help you out and make sure you're experience is a positive one.

As for your hand slipping down the handguard, do you have a shooting glove? Between the glove and good sling tension, you shouldn't experience shifting as you shoot. But it depends on your shooting style; I like to keep the rifle in my shoulder shooting prone and just drop rounds in as fast as the target comes up (my teammates and I have dubbed this "playing Whack-a-Mole"). Others will take the buttstock out of the shoulder between shots and rebuild the position each time. I don't like this technique anymore precisely because I find my support hand and the buttstock slipping around, forcing me to chase NPA.

Good luck and welcome to the sport! Maybe we'll see you on the shores of Lake Erie someday (reference to the Nationals at Camp Perry)?

Page generated in 0.04173 seconds with 8 queries