View Single Post
Old July 18, 2012, 04:58 PM   #15
BigJimP

Every time you change bullets...on a different profile, or a different mfg...you have to check your seating die and your final crimp die.

Rainiers are a different profile..and a cheaper bullet with more deviation in weight and shape..than some of the other plated bullets ( like Berry's ) which are very consistent....and then you have the real jacketed bullets like Montana Gold...

You can use the "plunk test" using your barrel ...or get a "case gague" which lets you do the same thing. Personally, I suggest case gaguing every round before you box it up ....you'll pick up a few cases that won't "plunk" in and out of the case gage...maybe because there is a burr on the base of the case - or even a small crack that opened up as you seated the bullet...or some little dent or something on the rim of the case that didn't come out or maybe showed up as you belled the case or something....

I probably reject about 3 or 4 rounds in 1,000 ....by case gaguing ....but it means my reloads run virtually 100%.

Rainier bullets drive me a little nuts ....especially in a 230gr ...where they might vary as much as 7 or 8 grains once in a while.../ I understand they're electroplated and its hard for them, I think, to get a real consistent plated coating on a batch of bullets for some reason - and they've gone up in price with companies like Montana Gold bullets even being cheaper...with a much better product.

Page generated in 0.02208 seconds with 8 queries