Thread: 1911 question?
View Single Post
Old August 17, 2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Shootest

Well it took me a while to get back to the range. I still don’t know for sure how the last round was getting striped from the clip but, I believe Unclenick is correct when he said this.

Quote:
What I suspect is happening is the slide is slapping back into counter-battery hard enough to cause the cartridge to bounce the magazine follower momentarily creating some free space around it inside the magazine. Because the gun is pivoting up and back, the cartridge is tipped up and the rearward motion of the gun puts it nose up at the front of the magazine so the follower's return from the bounce simply boosts it fairly straight up and out, setting the slide stop and leaving the round lying there when all the action halts.
I replaced the recoil spring and the problem went away. I tested all mags with no more trouble. Tried 4.7gr and 4.9gr loads, and decided I like the 4.5gr load the best. I can hold 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 25 yards if I do my part. Now it’s off to the man cave and the Dillon XL650 to load 2K.

Thanks much guys

Page generated in 0.02388 seconds with 8 queries