View Single Post
Old February 9, 2009, 11:45 AM   #15
Voyageur

I well remember when Dan Pawlak did what they said was impossible... find a black powder substitute. The pressure constraints had eluded a number of searchers. Pyrodex had its bad points... especially for those of us who shoot flintlocks. Herewith is presented a small portion of a dissertation on black powder that sums up the situation.

"Pyrodex is more bulky then blackpowder so you can get approximately 30% more shots from it, pound for pound. Pyrodex is safer and cleaner then blackpowder, but still delivers a similar cloud of white smoke with each shot. Ballistically it duplicates blackpowder with less fouling. Even though Pyrodex fouling is less, it is still corrosive. Pyrodex is harder to ignite (600º F) than blackpowder and can produce gases at a temperature of 4000º F. Pyrodex RS grade is intended for muzzle-loading rifles and shotguns, P is for use in pistols, CTG is specifically for use in rifle and shotgun cartridges, and C is for use in muzzle loading cannons. (CTG and C grades of Pyrodex have been discontinued for some time.) Pyrodex "Select" grade is a very consistent grade powder for rifle and shotguns."

As far as a 'powder charge' is concerned... simply purchase a pistol flask from Track of the Wolf and get on with it.

I have been shooting cap & ball revolvers and single shot pistols for almost 40 years. If you stick with black powder itself, you will not run into trouble. If you buy into the 'too much mess to clean up each time' mindset... get yourself a modern firearm (which also must be cleaned) and forget trying to use the real thing. No offense to modern thought but I prefer to shoot muzzle loaders the way my forefathers did and not look for ways to get around the definition of muzzle loader or cap & ball firearms.

Page generated in 0.02085 seconds with 8 queries