View Single Post
Old April 10, 2007, 12:45 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

The most important thing to know is this...with climbers or strap-on stands:

Always, ALWAYS use a harness. That's like rule #1 of gun safety rules, in the sense that if you folow it, a lot of other stuff can go wrong and you'll still probably live and come out relatively unscathed.

With ladder stands, I will climb up in them and sit without a harness, but the minute I feel sleepy, I climb down. I still prefer to have a harness in "bare" ladder stands though, attaching it AFTER climbing up. With ladder stands that have an enclosure of sorts, such as a rail that I drape with camo burlap (such as tripod stands), I feel safe not using a harness at all- even if I fall asleep, hitting the rail & drapery as I slump over will be enough to wake me up before I fall.

I don't know how much else you already know, but climbers only work on straight smooth trees like pines or cottonwoods. Smooth meaning not branches down low in your way (obviously).

You should change out all nylon straps at least every third year, or preferably every other year to be safe. Weather takes its toll on them.

What else you wanna know?

Oh, before you go buying an expensive climbing stand, you may just want to do it the cheap & easy way, and invest in one of these instead:

http://www.trophylineusa.com/

Much more portable & light - take it home and out of the weather when done. Move around more so the game won't peg you down, it is its own built-in harnes, etc. Allegedly quite comfortable too.

Page generated in 0.02437 seconds with 8 queries