Thread: AMMO Act?
View Single Post
Old April 29, 2013, 05:26 PM   #41
Gaerek

AMMO Act?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake View Post
Gaerek, on the helicopters, while I agree with your dad's take on the downside of armor in Alaska, I expect the reason is that it is easier for the Coast Guard to standardize their helicopter fleet, rather than having one configuration for Alaska and one for Key West.
I understand that, so does my dad. His issue, however is that you are taking a helicopter that was originally configured and used for rescue operations only, and adding weight/complexity for something the helicopter isn't designed for. They have separate helicopters they use for drug interdiction purposes. From 2000 until 2008 they operated MH-68 Stingray helicopters as part of their Interdiction force. In 2008 they were replaced by converted MH-65 Dolphins. The MH-60 Jayhawk was and has been only operated as a rescue platform. Adding armor and armament only reduces its capability to perform its primary mission. The Jayhawks flown out of Clearwater, FL and Sitka and Kodiak, AK are identical in form and function, even though there is a drug interdiction mission flown in the same areas in FL.

Ok, enough of the derailment.

Page generated in 0.03151 seconds with 8 queries