View Single Post
Old September 27, 2012, 11:16 AM   #23
wogpotter

While I was doing some more research on this a different option showed up. What do you think of this:

I have 2 resizing dies in .38spl/.357mag. One is steel RCBS, but i ended up with so many plated cases I bought a Dillon carbide one to upgrade the setup. (It also has the bevelled mouth which makes reloading better on the Dillon press.) So I have this "spare" resizing die.

I read somewhere that you can use this die with the expander stem removed & the die backed off quite a bit to effectively "partial resize" the first part of the case for about 1/8" or so, effectively creating a taper crimping die!

My concerns were resizing a bullet, (not happening the interior diameter is bugger than any .357 bullet all the way to the top of the recess).

Pushing the bullet deeper into the case, posibly causing higher pressures, (also not happening as the bullet contacts nothing at al with the die backed off enough to only resize the 1/8" desired.

Not having enough die nside the press's threads to allign & so on, (don't think its going to be a problem, especially with the extra thich top end of the Dillon.)

So what do you think? Worth a test drive with a small run, or did I miss something & fall for an internet ex-spurt?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Page generated in 0.03104 seconds with 8 queries