View Single Post
Old September 11, 2009, 02:05 PM   #15
imacanuk

Quote:
I agree just sight your rifle in for 100 yards and go home. However if you switch ammunition make sure you re-zero your rifle. Going from 150 to 180 grain can have a dramatic change on your point of impact. You may get lucky as well and have it stay the same but don't change bullets and go hunting without punching paper first. Too many times you hear of guys sighting in with differnt ammunition than what they hunt with and they can't beleive they missed their animal if they were lucky and if they weren't they had a wounded and never recovered it.
This answer is right on the money!!! If all I wanted was to shoot 100 yards at deer, I'd get a soft point bullet of whatever weight/manufacturer grouped best. 150 grain will knock'em dead. So will 180 grain. So will 165 grain. Just find the best grouping ammo, sight in for zero at 100 yards, and you're golden . With each grain size at 100 yards your bullet will still be rising. All things being equal, your 150 grain should be going the fastest, and should have risen the least, but that's only theory. Your barrel harmonics may react differently with each grain size, and so point of imapct could change dramatically. Maybe not. Any time you change ammunition in any way [manufacturer, grain size, powder charge, primer type, etc] you should punch paper and see if your zero has changed. That way you know for sure and you will take a better shot at your game.

Page generated in 0.03692 seconds with 8 queries