View Single Post
Old June 17, 2009, 07:28 PM   #73
compdoc

my new 750

I bought a new Model 750 Woodmaster .308win carbine a few weeks ago, and I fired it for the first time today. I went for the Woodmaster because I got the impression that the synthetic version wasnt drilled and tapped for a scope. Can someone who has a synthetic confirm that?

I really like the look and feel of the gun, although it does kick some. If it weren’t for that recoil pad, I'd be in pain right now.

I bought 2 additional Remington 4 shot magazines, and all 3 magazines were sticking while pressing rounds into place. The plate that pushes up the rounds (forget the name) was sticking to one side as it was pressed down. This made them very hard to load. A little silicone grease took care of it nicely. It’s a fully synthetic grease that I get from Ace Hardware.

Here's what I found after 80 rounds:

125 gr Managed-Recoil Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point: this round jammed with each shot. The shell isn’t ejected, so I had to manually cycle the action to pop it out and load the next round.

150 gr Wolf (Russian) full metal jacket, steel case: jammed pretty regularly, and when it jammed wasn't as easy to correct as the brass-cased Remington round. Also, 1 or 2 rounds out of each box misfired. Usually, firing the round again would work. Can’t recommend this ammo...

180 gr Remington Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point: not one jam. Fed great, cycled great, and ejected properly. Kicks like a mule, tho.

I have to say, as someone else in this thread already mentioned; it seems to be the ammo. The 750 seems to require a round with enough kick to cycle the action properly. I'll need to buy some 155 and 168 grain rounds to see what else works.

Of course, as I break the gun in, it’s possible that 150 grain ammo will work eventually. It’s also possible that the Wolf ammo’s powder just wasn’t up to snuff. In any event, the Model 750 seems a fine gun that I’ll enjoy for many years...

Page generated in 0.03737 seconds with 8 queries