View Single Post
Old May 21, 2018, 08:08 AM   #22
Certus

Thanks once again to all those who have provided such constructive advice and helpful explanations.

I bought this gun after the UK breech loading pistol ban in 1995 in case I couldn't get on with the extra effort required when shooting the black powder alternative. As it turned out, I much prefer black powder which is why the Ruger hasn't seen too much use.

This was one of the earlier conversions when it was first realised that shotgun primers were essential for reliable ignition. The original converter suggested 2.7 grns of Bullseye which was the popular target load for shooting .38 spl with a 148 grn WC bullet. All the later conversions recommend a slower burning powder with 4.5 grns of Herco being the most widely recommended load.

I can't remember any problems when I used the Bullseye load, so I may give that a try and see what happens.

The S&W 686 38 spl target load would also have had quite a lot of space between the the charge and the base of the bullet, so I'm sure the Ruger will cope just as well.

I will certainly be shooting more black rather than smokeless powder revolver in the future, but it would be nice to have an alternative for those days when the extra effort involved with black powder becomes an issue.

Regards
Brian

Page generated in 0.02749 seconds with 8 queries