Thread: bullet runout
View Single Post
Old January 14, 2000, 11:52 PM   #4
Tom D

Bone,

I have the Redding competition dies for 223. As Art related in one of his responses, I found that the RCBS dies gave bullet runout anywhere from .002" to .015". The Redding bushing type neck sizing die and the competition seating die gives a very consistant .000" to .004". Keep in mind, the quality of your brass will have a great effect on bullet runout also. One thing I really like about the bushing type dies is the ability to change the ammount of neck tension by using different size bushings. It also allows you to adjust the ammount of the neck you are sizing, (how far down the neck you allow the bushing to go). Very percise and well built dies. I use Redding standard dies for just about everything.

Sinclair does sell loaded cartridge concentricity testers. I bought one a couple of years back and it is kind of a cool thing to play with, but I don't use it a whole lot anymore. When I shoot in big matches or 1000 yard matches, I will check my match ammo and use the ones with .000" to .002". I think if bullet runout is somewhere around .005" or less you won't see any difference in a factory rifle (or a semi-auto like my AR match rifle). Benchresters with custom rigs go for -0- and most likely need it to get the performance they are after.

Remember one thing. It is all for fun and grins. Messing with custom loading tools and techniques is a lot of fun and you learn things that will make your rifle shoot better. I know guys that neck turn, sort brass, ream primer pockets, check runout and all kinds of other stuff just because they enjoy it. It extends the amount of time they spend working with their gun. Kind of like fly tying. It's not fishing, but it is kind of the next best thing for some guys. I think attention to the neck area of the case pays the biggest dividends in accuracy. It is impossible to say if loading techniques will give you better accuracy in your rifle. It sounds pretty good for a factory rifle. But, you never know until you try. I say, if you are interested, go for it and have fun. But be warned, you may end up truing necks and weighing brass and all kinds of other stuff if you get started.

Page generated in 0.03266 seconds with 8 queries