View Single Post
Old January 15, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
leadchucker

Inconclusive load work-up?

I just loaded my first batch of Precision Delta 40 S&W 165 gr. FMJ FP bullets. I used W231 and CCI 500 small pistol primers.

I used load data from the Lyman #49 manual for a 165 gr. bullet. I'm at work now, and I don't have the manual handy. I can't recall which bullet it was, but it was close enough for me to feel safe using the data provided. Max load listed was 5.9 gr, and suggested start load was 5.3 gr. I loaded ten each at 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7, 5.8 gr. I calculated a COAL of 1.117 in..

I fired all fifty rounds, and honestly, they all performed practically identically. They all reliably cycled my S&W Shield. I noticed no real variation in recoil. I inspected each spent shell, and found no evidence of any abnormalities or excessive pressure. If there was any variation in accuracy, I could not detect it, but I'm not the most consistent shot with this gun yet. I suspect that there would be a noticeable difference in velocity, but I don't have a chronograph, so I can't clock the rounds.

Right now, I'm just looking for range/practice ammo, so performance is not that important to me. So should I just load to the minimum and be happy with that, or do I need to experiment further? What would you do?

Page generated in 0.02824 seconds with 8 queries