View Single Post
Old November 21, 2009, 02:34 PM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Q On 45ACP Hunting Deer.

This Winter I might be able to go deer hunting a second time actually, however the muzzle loader rifle I was going to buy for it ran out of funds in the past few months.

I go regularly during shotgun here, the only other options I have to hunt are bow and muzzle loader.

I can't hit a barn at 25yards with a bow in the spot I mean too, so I am not going to try to kill a deer that way.

However I have a glimmer of hope for a second hunting excursion. In the late Muzzle loader season here you can use your favorite handgun. Of which my favorite is my Sam Colt Army. However I have more trigger time with my XD 45 Tactical 5", it also seems more utilitarian for field pounding.

My question is what rounds should I get for hunting deer. I do not reload yet, and right now I would rather buy an expensive box of 20 than experiment with hand loads for the first time. (even though I have what I need to load 45ACP).

I was thinking of buffalo bore, or corbon +P heavy loads, ball for penetration.

People have said things about not penetrating enough or a lack of performance in some way on a deer, so 45ACP would be a horrible choice.

I never really heard of people talking too much about a 45 being not enough.

I don't see how it would be any worse than a bow. MAYBE I can see an arrow having the length of itself drive it through more uniformly. I can shoot 10" at 25yards with my 45ACP, a bow I couldn't constantly hold a minivan.

Just as a hunting comparison for the 45, not to make this a bow thread.

Thanks

Page generated in 0.03094 seconds with 8 queries