Thread: 30.06 scope
View Single Post
Old March 24, 2009, 08:01 AM   #5
skydiver3346

Getting a new scope:

It has been my experience over that past 40 years of deer hunting that "good glass" is the most important part of your rifle set up. I have seen folks spend a ton of $$ on a very nice rifle and then top it off with a poor quality scope? The scope needs to perform in very low light, recoil, bad weather and normal hunting trip abuse that occurs (plus keep it's zero no matter what). If at all possible, please do yourself a favor and either save up, sell something else and/or trade something (in order to get you a top quality rifle scope for your .30-06). I promise you that you will be more than happy in the long run and proud you made the investment in your hunting outfit. You won't be sorry for ever buying good quality glass.
Examples:
1. Leupold Vari-X III
2. Zeiss (Conquest) or Diavari model if you can swing it.
3. Bushnell Elite 4200 (just bought one of these) It changed my mind on the quality of Bushnell scopes nowadays) Very good scope for the money.
4. Swarovski (most any model) You can sometimes get a "used" one on Ebay or Gunbroker for a pretty good price and save big bucks. Even then it is still "pricey" as compared to other scopes, but well worth the investment in the long run.
p.s. The Savage 111 is a very accurate rifle (as are most of the Savage hunting rifles nowadays). Why not bring out the best in it with a quality scope.
Best of luck to you.

Page generated in 0.03557 seconds with 8 queries