View Single Post
Old October 11, 2005, 11:58 PM   #2
sck

Baker's are generally pretty strong, even the damascus barreled ones. However, I understand your concern. The proper way is to mount it in a testing vise and then attach a very long string to the trigger. However, most of us don't have professional testing vises, so we make do with an old tire. All that is needed is an old tire, just the tire no rim attached. You can pick up one at a tire store for free but you may have to pay them to take it back when you're done. Take the tire and a long heavy string to the range. Lay the tire on a table and then wedge the butt stock into the tire on one side with the barrel or forearm resting on the other side of the tire. Then tie the tire to the table. Then attach the string to the trigger, get back 20 feet or more or get behind some protection such as a wall or tree, and then pull the trigger. This set up has worked well for me and others. The problem is that with old firearms, it may function fine with no problems for 2 round or 200 rounds. However, there is always the chance there will be a problem somewhere done the line, but the same could be said of new firearms. I've had 2 brand new firearms blow up on me. The key is knowing enough the overall condition of any firearm to have a reasonable idea of when that failure will occur, and the sense to be wearing eye protection if and when it does happen. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Steve

Page generated in 0.03396 seconds with 8 queries