Thread: .243 Silencer??
View Single Post
Old April 25, 2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
People who say again and again that you can't effectively silence a supersonic caliber need to shut up. Seriously.
Agreed, that's like saying pistol grip guns are for "spraying from the hip". 100% wrong and instantly exposes the individual as someone who does not know what they are talking about.

Of course supersonic rounds can be effectively suppressed. Compared to the muzzle blast, the sonic crack is not very loud at all. It is also difficult for people, or animals, to determine a direction a shot came from from the sonic crack. They only hear it as the bullet passes and the crack also reflects off nearby objects.

The crack instantly tells an animal that something is up, but without the muzzle report, it can't tell where the shot came from.

Now, for a .243 suppressor. I am not aware of any manufacturers that make a .243 suppressor. A friend has a YHM Phantom 7.62 that he has mounted on his AR-15 in 5.56. I was surprised how well it suppressed despite being a .308 can. Not as quiet as my TAC-16, but certainly hearing safe. (Though it might be because he was shooting an AR-15 and my TAC-16 is on a T/C Encore.

Video is a very poor way to gauge suppressor performance as the mic clips the sound. The best way to gauge a suppressors performance is in person. Here is my friend with his Phantom 7.62. He is wearing muffs when he shoots it suppressed, but I was with him a few weeks ago when he was shooting it and it was hearing safe for the operator, a bit louder to the side of him, but still a vast improvement over unsuppressed.

YHM Phantom 7.62 QD & YHM Cobra M2 9mm

The reality is that there isn't a demand for a dedicated .243 suppressor. From what I have read, most people just use a .308 suppressor and get good performance.

So you could either contact a manufacturer and have a custom job built or just get a .308 suppressor.

The manufacturers I would recommend are Advanced Armament Corp and Yankee Hill Machine. Though there are others.

Silencer Research has some very good info, but some of the review require you to pay to see. Not unexpected, paying for suppressors and the NFA tax is expensive. http://www.silencerresearch.com/

I like the Silencer Talk forum as well. http://www.silencertalk.com Robert Silvers does work for AAC, but they welcome discussion on other suppressors manufacturers and are much more open than other forums. (You really have to work at it to get banned there.) Try a little of everywhere and don't just rely on one source.

Whatever you do, don't go to AR-15.com for suppressor advice. The mods here frown on "bashing" other forums here so I won't go into details and leave it at that.

Edit:

Quote:
Seriously, you need to learn some manners!
Certainly, you can lower the sound level, but not to nearly the point of a subsonic round-hence "you can not effectively supress a supersonic caliber."
No, you need to learn what you are talking about.

Muzzle noise and bullet noise are two completely different things. Quit treating them as one problem. Suppressors only deal with the muzzle report. Subsonic or supersonic, it does not matter. They can both be effectively suppressed. (Being safe to use without hearing protection, under 140 dB.) Yes a combination of subsonic/suppressed will be quieter overall. That is not the question that is being asked.

Saying a supersonic round cannot be effectively suppressed is like saying that a gun with a pistol grip is made to be sprayed from the hip. Factually and intellectually dishonest.

Last edited by Crosshair; April 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Responce

Page generated in 0.02690 seconds with 8 queries