View Single Post
Old September 25, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
efgf

Looking for an inexpensive, accurate, long-range caliber

I am mainly a pistol shooter, but I got a .22LR rifle recently and really enjoyed trying to get better and better accuracy from long distances. There's a limit to the distance and accuracy you can get with .22LR, so I am thinking about what comes next.

From what I read, .308 is a great choice for long distance target work. The cartridge has good ballistics and is easily found, as are quality rifles which shoot the caliber. It seems like a great choice, but wow are .308 rounds expensive!!!

The price of .308 rounds don't allow me to get much practice and since I am not interested in reloading (at least yet), I am looking for advice about what other alternative calibers to consider.

Ideally these calibers would have plenty of inexpensive ammunition for practice and also more expensive but more accurate ammunition for really honing the skills (just as .308 does). The rifles for these calibers (suggestions welcome) should be readily available, relatively inexpensive and accurate. The farthest range I have access to is 500 yards, although one that could go farther than that would be great. While I am not afraid of recoil, a powerful cartridge is otherwise not important since I won't hunt with it, I will just shoot holes in paper targets.

Page generated in 0.02583 seconds with 8 queries