View Single Post
Old December 21, 2018, 04:47 PM   #20
Dufus

Quote:
Horsefeathers!

Not "can't", the correct word is "won't"!

Everytime someone says a .308 can't handle heavy bullets (and stops there) they are leaving off the rest of the statement, which is "and get the velocities I want"

Want is the key. Nothing wrong with not using a cartridge that doesn't deliver what you WANT, so long as you're honest about that, and not just saying the cartridge won't do something that it will do, just because it doesn't do it as well as you want it to do.

Saying the .30-06 will do it better, is true, if better = higher velocity. Saying the .308 won't handle heavy bullets isn't true, UNLESS you include your stated wants. The .308 will handle heavy (200gr+) bullets fine, it just won't launch them at the speed most people WANT today.

Heavy bullets in a .308 Win put you in the same power range as the .30-40 Krag, which has killed dead everything that walks on the North American continent, including the biggest elk, moose, and even some pretty big bears including grizzly. .

Saying a .308 Win can't shoot heavy bullets isn't true.

Saying a .308 Win can't shoot heavy bullets at 2600fps is true.

There's a difference.
Give me some load data and I'll let you know if it works.

The bullet is 1.428" long and is designed for 2000-2400 fps.

If a 308 Win can shoot it to those velocities then I will load some and target test them.

Page generated in 0.03976 seconds with 8 queries