View Single Post
Old March 17, 2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Trapper L

For decades, if it wasn't weighed it wasn't going in my gun. I rarely weigh every load anymore. I set up my scale for adjusting the RCBS Combo Measure, get it throwing the ball powder on the money, lock it down and start dumping powder. My little brother doesn't even go that far. He uses the Lee Dipper set. He goes by the data supplied with the dipper set and loads. He has 45s that will shoot better than most shooters using this method. He also does the same thing with his M1as, Garands, all of his rifles. He never seems to have an accuracy issue or any problems at all.

FWIW, I met an elderly gent that had a gunshop in San Antonio. He was retired and was also a 1000 yd shooter. He showed me a copy of the target that he shot with a 308 Norma Mag many years ago. It almost looked like one hole but was ten rounds. It was in Illinois and on a cold, still morning with witnesses. He did not weigh the powder charges but used a dipper. He was a firm believer in volume, not weight. Per his conviction, powder can change weight with humidity, the scale can change weight with temperature and barometric pressure. Too many variables according to him. He believed in volume, not weight. Seems to have worked for him.

Page generated in 0.03608 seconds with 8 queries