View Single Post
Old July 29, 2017, 09:39 PM   #40
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, 44QAMP,

I have heard both ways, but have not seen any 98 rifles or carbines with markings indicating rechambering vs a new barrel. That does not mean they didn't simply rechamber, but I have not seen any real proof that that they did. I know the 88's were rechambered when they were converted to use 98 clips, but have seen no evidence that they were rebarrelled or rebored. It has been said that the Germans selected rifles that already had a larger bore for conversion; that is possible, but seems like a lot of trouble when it was not really necessary. I have slugged a couple of those converted barrels and they are right for .318" bullets.

Based on evidence from other work, I have become pretty well convinced that exact barrel (land/groove) diameter is not a big factor safety-wise (the effect on accuracy is another matter). The pressure is high in a smaller bore, but a .323 bullet fired through a .318 bore won't blow up a well made gun; the size of the chamber neck and the room to expand and release the bullet is a lot bigger safety factor and the new chambering took care of that.

Jim

Page generated in 0.04533 seconds with 8 queries