View Single Post
Old October 18, 1999, 06:56 PM   #6
The Mohican Sneak

Doc,

My rifle, a tweaked 10-22, groups decent with the CCI Stingers--which is what I use for squirrel hunting. The Eley groups a whole lot tighter, but that ammo is just too expensive for me to justify hunting with it. Shoot what you can afford, and what groups best. Squirrel huntin' doesn't require pinpoint accuracy, but it is nice to watch one fall from a well placed round to the noggin'.

A little trick my older brother taught me was to strike the sides of two quarters together--edge to edge so that the grooves rake across each other. It'd be easier to show you than type it, but I hope you know what I mean. It's supposed to imitate a squirrel cracking the hulls of acorns, but it sounds more like one barking to me. Either way, I've brought squirrels out of nests by doing it that way.

I guess my favorite way of squirrel hunting is finding an oak tree that's loaded with acorns and arriving before daylight. Sit there with a cold mountain dew, some of those pecan thingy's, and wait for daylight.

Once the sun makes it's way up, the fun "sho' 'nuff" begins.

TMS

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries