View Single Post
Old July 19, 2013, 09:27 AM   #18
tahunua001

I use the slide release but that is probably because that's how I was taught with the M9. so much of my handgun skills are carryovers from the navy that it's mostly second nature to me. I use the slide release though on my SR9 it's called a slide stop.

in my opinion the slide release is more tactically sound for speed. if my gun is pointed down range and I do a mag change I can use the slide stop while I'm still positioning my support hand while with the slingshot method I have to make a complete second movement to return it to battery which costs precious seconds which I may not have if I really need to use my gun in a self defense scenario.

some argue that the small size of the slide stop becomes it's Achilles heel because in a high stress situation you are so tense that muscle memory might be rendered useless, missing the stop by just a few centimeters will completely miss it and then you are stuck fumbling for it and argue that instead the slide makes a larger target to grasp and actuate but I do not buy it. there have been times especially with sweaty hands and tough slides that I can't actuate them on the first try so I don't see it becoming any easier under stress. the slide stop method is as second nature to me as flipping off the safety after unholstering.

Page generated in 0.02215 seconds with 8 queries