Thread: 460 Dies
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
Contrary to what makes sense, the slower bullets actually shoot higher than full power loads. At close distances anyway, say less than 50 yds. Haven't been able to wrap my brain around that one yet.

Has to do with barrel dwell and recoil. Slower bullets spend more time in the barrel thus allowing it to recoil upward a tad more before the bullets exit than when using faster bullets......thus they print higher.

Quote:
I dont want a $1500 gun flying through the air or smacking one of them in the 4-head.
My Compensated Hunter is more pleasant to shoot with factory 200 grainers than my EDC .38 snubby with +p loads. My youngest son has shot it since he was just a wisp of a thing at age 13 with legitimate .460 loads. If you don't feel obligated to buy the hottest loads Buffalo Bore makes, others familiar with shooting handguns, will not have a problem shooting your .460. Unless you cast your own, cost of reloading components is similar whether you shoot powder puff loads or start level .460 loads. My experience is that even start level .460 loads are more accurate than .45 Colt or reduced recoil Trail-boss loads. I prefer to shoot a few less quality loads than a bunch of lower recoil, inaccurate loads that you either have to adjust the sights or use Kentucky windage. YMMV.

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries