View Single Post
Old November 28, 2010, 08:03 PM   #41
Nnobby45

Quote:
I am a bit perplexed by the 45 degree reload comments. I can see it for a revolver, as the muzzle pointing up helps with ejection, but I can't see how it would be beneficial for an auto.

Back in Navy security training, the Gunny (Marines used to provide firearms instructors for USN security departments, back when) taught us to keep the 1911 on target throughout the reload. This greatly sped up target acquisition after the reload.
The handle of the pistol is pointed at the spare mag so it can go straight in. No more complicated than that.

Just standing there with gun pointed at the target with arm extended while you reload has flaws.

You can't move to cover while doing it and you're a good target.

Trying to find the mag. well with arms extended, unsupported, under adrenaline stress is a shaky propositioin (literally).

A SWAT instructor and team leader, as well as dept. firearms instructor taught me to reload by bringing my right elbow into my side to steady it with mag. well pointed at weak side mag. pouch.

Gun is just below eye level allowing you to look the mag. into the gun or see it peripherally while keeping track of the threat. Seat magazine and extend--or shoot without extending if you need to.

Kelly McCann (aka Jim Grover) showed on his video how to use two fingers of the support hand to shift the gun toward you so the thumb can reach the mag. release. Quick and positive.

Maintaining your shooting position with both arms extended so you can get back on target quicker? I wonder if anyone who advocates that has actually been in a gunfight.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Last edited by Nnobby45; November 28, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.02227 seconds with 8 queries