View Single Post
Old January 14, 2018, 03:19 AM   #9
TruthTellers

Yeah, old technology not performing. I thought they would have done better than not expanding, but nope.

Lucky Gunner's tests of .38 and .357 opened my eyes to the difficulties of .38 Special hollow points out of snub barrels. Most either fail to expand due to the low velocity or fail to penetrate.

The premium Winchester loads did fine, Remington Golden Saber did okay, but I liked Hornady Critical Defense +P the most. While not every shot may not have hit the 12 inch FBI minimums consistently, they always came very close, close enough to call them a success from a 2 inch barrel.

That's for hollow points though, I still think that from a snub revolver, the best defense ammo is that which is designed to do damage from not expanding.

That leaves two loads that I know of and it's either a moderately hot hardcast wadcutter or those bullets with flutes in the nose that are supposed to use the rotation of the bullet to damage tissue.

I don't think one can go wrong with either, but lately I've been leaning towards the lightweight Polycase ammunition because the velocities are so high that they usually cause the bullet to tumble and do more damage than wadcutters or hollow points and because they also have slightly lower recoil.

Also because I'm of the opinion that the "range" ammo Polycase that doesn't have the flutes will do the exact same thing the fluted ammo does, which is tumble a few inches into the body and render the flutes useless. So, if the fluted defense bullets don't do anything because the bullet is tumbling, why pay double the price for them?

Last edited by TruthTellers; January 14, 2018 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention stuff

Page generated in 0.02150 seconds with 8 queries