View Single Post
Old August 25, 2011, 07:33 PM   #16
TimW77

Dillon vs. lnl

"It’s cheaper than the Dillon and has several features that, IMHO are better than Dillon."
Typical internet BS...
Equipped THE SAME the Dillon 650 and LnL are virtually the SAME price.

"Some times it’s just the color, red or blue!!"
To be nice, that is just silly.

"...most Dillon owners will agree if they are honest."
Dillon owners are "honest" if they agree with your dishonest statement?

"I have never heard of a rotary type measure “leak”."
You are hearing it now, they can leak also.

"Also, it is a pain to swap out the Dillon powder measure to another die plate."
Truth is it is very easy, unsnap the operating rod and loosen 2 screws and the Dillon measure comes off without problems.

"As a result, many owners have several powder measures on separate die plates for changing calibers."
And, many owners do NOT... For loading 13 cartridges I have just 2.
For convenience only, 1 has the small charge bar and the other has the large charge bar installed. Really not much different than doing the same with different inserts on the LnL.

"This significantly drives UP the COST."
Not if you don't do it.

"Many LNL owners, myself included, own several "Powder Dies" that are pre-adjusted to load a specific case."
And the difference with the Dillon is? Again for convenience, I have a powder die on each toolhead that stays with that are adjusted for that die set.

"Each LNL powder die costs about $20. A Dillon powder measure costs $75."
This is just idiotic, comparing the price of a powder die to a powder measure.
FACT is, from the Dillon website, powder dies are LESS than for the LnL, they are $10.95.
From the Hornady website, Lock-N-Load® Powder Measure, SKU: 050069, $93.25
Then (I assume) you have to add the Case Activated Powder Drop, SKU: 050073, MSRP: $72.59
At $165.84, I can understand why LnL user only own one powder measure.

"Next, the LNL uses a really slick bushing system for mounting loading dies and powder measure to the press."
Dillon uses an even slicker "toolhead".

"After a die is adjusted for whatever you are loading you can remove the die from the press with an 1/8 turn and insert a different die."
Or with the Dillon remove 2 pins and ALL 5 dies come out at the same time. Take your pick 1 die at a time 5 times or all 5 dies at 1 time.

"The Dillon die plate costs more than LNL bushings."
I know you mean the Dillon "toolhead" but you are still wrong again. The Dillon "toolhead" lists for $26.95. For the LnL you need 5 bushings. Hornady lists a Lock-N-Load® Die Bushing 3 pack, SKU: 044093, for $18.45 and a Lock-N-Load® Die Bushing 2 Pack, SKU: 044094, for $12.93 or $31.38 for 5 bushings.

"By just looking, it would seem the LNL would be stronger."
Bigger isn't always better and looks can be deceiving but to me the LnL looks like a out of date, 3 generation older but fat and overweight Dillon 450 with a 5th station added.

"For NON-CASE FEEDER users; all Dillon presses (Except 1050) require you to use BOTH hands to insert brass and bullets on the press."
NOT true. I keep my right hand on the roller handle and my left hand easily feeds BOTH cases and bullets.

"In summary, the Hornady LNL has all the features of the Dillon 650 but, is much cheaper."
Again, wrong and wrong. Most of the features but not all plus some "different" features but the price equipped THE SAME, is virtually THE SAME.

"Changing calipers on the LNL is faster and cheaper."
If you think changing 5 seperate dies is faster than just one toolhead and if you think $31.83 is cheaper than $26.95.

"The powder measure on the LNL is vastly superior to Dillon..."
At least in your supposedly "unbiased" opinion and on what planet/dreamworld? Different measure types each have different advantages and disadvantages. As someone already pointed out, there are very simple changes that make the Dillon work well with any powder type.

Buy the press that works best for YOU and NOT someone else.

Want to use a different brand powder measure, use it. Want to use a different brand of dies, use them.

As long as you buy what is best for YOU.

The Dillons are SO popular there are a lot of after market products available that make them even more versatile and allows me to better tailor the Dillon to MY specific needs. There are few if any of these products for the LnL.

T.

Page generated in 0.03646 seconds with 8 queries