View Single Post
Old June 4, 2017, 09:01 AM   #14
kraigwy

I'm an old man, I wont be serving in an infantry company any more and I certainly wont get a vote on what the army picks or doesn't pick. I know what worked for me when I did serve in combat in SE Asia, but Vietnam is History, not doctrine.

I do recall having an "Infantry Magazine" from the 70s that reported that by the summer of 1976 the Army would field a AR rifle in 6 MM. 1976 came and gone, we are still using the 223/5.56 so I don't put much stock in what is being reported what the Army might or will do.

Doesn't effect me anyway. I shoot for fun, competition and hunting. I pick what works for my lifestyle and not as if I'm going into combat, because I'm not.

I've seen a lot since I first joined the Army in 1966. I've seen a lot that had been reported that WAS gonna happen but DIDN'T.

They may in the future turn over surplus 5.56 ammo to the CMP to sell to civilians. Then they might not. Who knows. They did give '06 ammo to the DCM/CMP for us peons. In the past 45s, 30 carbine, and others. What they do in the future is anybody's guess.

I turn 70 next month, what ever they do, I wont be around to take advantage of, I'm certainly not sending the CMP a check to get on the waiting list for 5.56 ammo.

But its fun to speculate. I do, even knowing "what if's" don't come to pass.

I've played the game and its bit me in the butt a time or two. One such speculation got me big time.

When the NG was going to replace our M1C/D sniper rifles, running the AK NG Sniper Program at the time, I was given a choice of replacing our M1s with either the M21 or waiting for the M24s. I knew the M24s were capable of 308 or converting to 300 WM. My Rifle team at the time was shooting Model 70s in 300 WM, so I figured the M24 in 300 WM would give me better access to 300 Ammo for our 1000 yard matches, So I opted to take the M21, and would wait tell the M24 300s came out. That was in the 80s. I don't remember the exact day, but its only been within the last 10 years or so that the M24 series became readily available in 300 WM, long after I got out of the game. So I handy capped our sniper program by not taking the current (in the 80s) M24s.

But that's all water under the bridge, the only sniper rifle I use now is the M1904A4 in CMP Vintage Sniper Matches.

In short, take what you read about Army Rifles and Ammo with a grain of salt. Spend the effort picking rifles/ammo for what you shoot now, not what the Army might or might not do. Trust me, if you join, you don't get a choice. You get what's issued, not what speculators think you should have.

Marksmanship fundamentals are marksmanship fundamentals, they don't change. Concentrate on that, and you'll be ready for anything you or the army chooses.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.02910 seconds with 8 queries