View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #13
Bart B.

James comments:
Quote:
If I read between the lines, I get the vague impression that you don't think rifle round crimping is necessary!!
That's close. Crimping may be necessary for 35+ caliber heavy bullets in light weight rifles for reliability in functioning. But for the rest of them it's harmful to accuracy. Nobody's ever proved to me that crimping rifle bullets really does improve accuracy when such tests are properly conducted with ammo reloaded with proper tools properly set up and used.

That aside, if one gets no worse than 1/3 MOA at 100 yards, 1/2 MOA at 300 or 2/3 MOA at 600 with crimping then go right ahead and do it.

To date, I've not known of anyone who can do that with all shots fired. This is relative to the largest groups shot, not the smallest ones. Any type of bullet-holding setup in case necks will occasionally (rarely?) make a 3-shot group at 100 yards happen. But that's when all the group-changing variables plus shooter ones all add up to do that. When those variables all add up in the other direction, the group may not be covered with a dinner plate.

Page generated in 0.02497 seconds with 8 queries