View Single Post
Old August 28, 2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

32-40...use 8mm barrel for better bullet selection ???

so on my custom Remington roller bench gun project... I'm still trying to finalize the cartridge...

I want a lower pressure black powder conversion cartridge, & have been considering the 32-40, & 38-55 / 56 at the top of my list...

unfortunately, all the 32 caliber bullets for rifles ( & bullet molds ) that I've found ( except for one pope style that is still flat nosed but listed as a semi spitzer ), are designed for the lever action rifles, & are all flat nosed...

I'm trying to build a bench rifle out of this "roller" that I could shoot at 100, 200, & 300 yards... & IMO, the flat nosed bullets are less than ideal for 200-300 yard target work...

the 8mm barrels are only a few .001's bigger than the BPC 32 barrels, so any stock 32-40 cartridge could safely shoot down a properly chambered 8mm barrel( albeit probaly less accurately )... the twist rate of the 8mm barrel is likely more conductive to longer range bullets, weather talking cast gas check lead, or copper jacketed...

so... ( not that I would ever compete )... but would there be any competition issues, with a 32-40 chamber on an 8mm barrel, if the barrel is marked as chambered in 32-40???

any reloading issues that anyone could see ??? this being a single shot rifle, the OAL shouldn't be an issue, & I'd think the 8mm bullets would work with the 32-40 dies ( maybe an issue with round nose or spitzer bullet with a flat nosed seater ??? )... but if the bullet wouldn't start, an 8mm expander could be added to the 32-40 loading process...

appreciate any suggestions I might get...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 28, 2008 at 11:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.03797 seconds with 8 queries