View Single Post
Old December 27, 2011, 11:07 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
...if we meet at my local FFL in MS, he can hand over the pistol to the FFL and they can do the necessary documents and I can hand over the rifle to my FFL and... he can receive the rifle from the FFL?
This is perfectly legal under federal law.

The only potential issue is that AL may prohibit its residents from purchasing long guns from FFL's in neighboring states. Such prohibitions are uncommon nowadays*, but I'm not familiar with AL law, so I can't comment on this. However, if the MS FFL is located anywhere near the AL state line, they can probably answer this question.

*Footnote: If you attempt to read AL state law yourself, be forewarned that many states have legal provisions saying that adjacent-state FFL long gun purchases are "not prohibited" or "not disallowed"- i.e. they are allowed- but these statutes are often worded with confusing double negatives, so make sure you read all the "nots"! These laws dealt with a long-obsolete federal law that disallowed adjacent-state sales by default unless a state specifically "un-prohibited" them, so to speak. These statutes have been legal dead weight since the federal law was repealed, but many state legislatures have never bothered to remove them from the books.

Page generated in 0.03159 seconds with 8 queries